Emmanuele F.M. Emanuele
Emmanuele Francesco Maria Emanuele, descendant of one of the most illustrious ancient families of medieval Spain (1199) and Southern Italy (1297), Baron.
University Professor, Supreme Court lawyer, economist, expert in financial, tax and insurance issues, essayist and author, author of books on finance and economics and collections of poems.
- Primary school: “S. Anna”, Palermo;
- Lower secondary School: “Istituto Gonzaga” (Jesuit), Palermo;
- Upper secondary school: “Istituto Don Bosco – Ranchibile” (Salesian), Palermo;
- Lyceum: “Giuseppe Garibaldi”, Palermo;
- Degree in law awarded by the University of Palermo in 1960;
- Business training course held by ISDA (Istituto Superiore per la Direzione Aziendale), 1962-63;
- Financial and Monetary Economics course at the Harvard Summer School, Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts U.S.A., through a scholarship granted by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 1968.
- Professor of Tax Law at the University of Salerno, 1971-81;
- Professor of Tax and Public Sector Law at the LUISS Guido Carli University, 1982-83;
- Professor of Tax Law at the LUISS Guido Carli University, 1983-84 and 1993-96;
- Professor of Financial Law at the LUISS Guido Carli University, 1984-92;
- Professor of Public Finance at the LUISS Guido Carli University, 1993-2009;
- Professor of Tax Law and Comparative Tax Law at the Link Campus University of Malta, 1998-2001;
- Professor of Public Finance at the Link Campus University of Malta, 2002-04;
- Professor of Public Finance and Economic Policy at the Università Europea of Rome, 2009-11;
- Professor of ‘Art and Finance’ in the master’s degree course on Management of Artistic and Cultural Resources at the IULM University, 2010-2020;
- Professor of Public Economics at the Università Europea of Rome, 2011-14.
- Professor of Public Finance in the Bachelor’s degree course in Organisation and Management, Università Telematica San Raffaele, 2019.
- Doctorate honoris causa in Fine Arts awarded by the St. John’s University in Rome in 2008;
- Degree honoris causa in Canon Law awarded by the Pontificia Università Lateranense in Rome in 2009;
- Degree honoris causa in Humane Letters awarded by the American University of Rome in 2012;
- Renowned Professor Emeritus of Public Finance and Economic Development at the Universidad Francisco de Vitoria in Madrid, 2008-
- Member of ISE – (Institute of Economic Studies LUISS Guido Carli University),1993 to 2002;
- Member of the Board of Directors of ALUISS – Associazione per la Libera Università degli Studi Sociali, 1998 – 2008;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the LUISS University, 1998-2008;
- Member of the Financial Markets Research Center (CERMEF) at the LUISS University”, 1999 to 2009
- Member of CESOCEM (global economic trend watchdog).
- Member of the Board of Directors of the LUMSA University, 2003-07;
- Vice Chairman the LUISS University, 2004-2008;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Fondazione Civitas Lateranensis, 2006-14;
- President of the Organizing Committee of the Masters degree course for ‘Experts in Politics’ held in association with LUMSA University, 2006-08;
- President of the Organizing Committee of the Master’s degree course on the “Governance of non-profit organisations” held in association with the LUISS Guido Carlo University, academic year 2007-08;
- Vice Dean of the Università Europea of Rome, 2008 -2013;
- President of the Organising Committee of the master’s degree course on the Management of Artistic and Cultural Resources, held at the IULM University, 2010-2020;
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Università Europea of Rome, 2012- 2014;
- President of the Scientific Committee of the Master’s degree course on ‘Languages and techniques for animation movies’, Accademia delle Belle Arti and the Sapienza University of Rome, 2018-2020.
- President of the Organizing Committee of the master’s degree course on Oriental Languages and Culture, held at the IULM University, since the first academic year 2015-16;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Suor Orsola Benincasa University in Naples since 2016;
- President of Fondazione Mediterraneo – Diritto allo Studio Luiss Guido Carli since 2017, which holds the degree course in both Rome and the University of Petra;
- President of the Scientific Committee of the Master’s degree course on ‘Globalization, Governance and International Understanding’, Link Campus University, since the first academic year 2017-18;
Over the years he has written and published numerous books and articles. Starting from the nineteen-nineties the following are amongst his most important publications:
On the subject of Economics and Finance:
- L’imposizione dei redditi di capitale delle persone fisiche residenti nei paesi dell’Unione Europea (Capital gains tax for individuals resident in a European Union Member State) -(1998);
- Il non-profit strumento di sviluppo economico e sociale (Non-profit organisations are an instrument for economic and social progress) – (2001);
- Il ruolo dell’impresa pubblica: un dibattito ancora aperto. Le vicende dell’impresa bancaria (The role of public companies: an ongoing debate. The vicissitudes of banking companies) – (2002);
- Una possibile soluzione al modello del Welfare. Un approccio quantitativo (A possible solution to the Welfare model. A quantitative approach) – (2002);
- Evoluzione e vicende delle Fondazioni di origine bancaria (Evolution and vicissitudes of banking foundations) – (II edition 2006);
- Lezioni di Scienza delle Finanze; (Lessons on Public Finance) (2006);
- Il terzo pilastro. Il non-profit motore del nuovo welfare (The third pillar. Non-profit organizations drive the new welfare system) – (2008);
- La società civile risorsa fondamentale per il futuro (Civil Society a fundamental resource for the future), in the six- month Journal “Civiltà Europea”, 2009;
- La specifica funzione delle Fondazioni di origine bancaria nel welfare e nella cultura (The specific function of banking foundations in the welfare state and culture), in Paradoxa, III, 2009;
- Arte e Finanza (Art and Finance) – (2012 -2015).
On the subject of politics:
- Stato e cittadino la rivoluzione necessaria (The state and Citizens the necessary revolution”, 1996;
- Ideologie e stagioni politiche (Ideologies and political seasons), in Tempo Presente 190, 1996;
- Sistemi elettorali comparati e stabilità politica (Comparative electoral systems and political stability), in Civitas III, 2006.
Publicist and Editor
- He has contributed to periodicals published by CRES (Committee for Economic Research for Sicily);
- has served on the Editorial Committee of the ‘Rivista di Diritto Tributario’;
- is the Founder and Scientific Director of ‘Rivista di Diritto Penale Tributario’;
- is a member of the editorial staff of the EGEDIF encyclopaedia;
- is editor in chief of ESI’s ‘Collana di Studi di Scienza delle Finanze’;
As a lawyer, he has served as a tax and financial advisor to public organisations and ministerial bodies as well as leading public and private, national and international companies, such as the Ministry of the Budget and Economic Planning, the Ministry of Trade and Industry the Ministry of Industry and Trade, the Ministry of Labour, the Ministry of Finance and the Treasury, Squibb S.p.A., Finsider S.p.A., Efim, Italfinanziaria, Valeas S.p.A., Armco-Finsider S.p.A., Allianz-La Pace S.p.A., Istituto Sieroterapico Milanese, Liquichimica S.p.A., Crown S.p.A., San Paolo di Torino, Safim S.p.A., Confcommercio, Azienda Ferrovie dello Stato.
He was the Commissioner in procedures provided for by Law number 270 (Prodi/bis), in particular of of Genghini, Autovox, SICET, BOSI, NOVA, Graziano and TREND belonging to the Finmatica Group
He acted as commissioner, receiver and trustee of the Bankruptcy Division of the Court of Rome and appraiser in mergers and acquisitions. Amongst his main assignments were: Las Alinord, Siapa (Gruppo Federconsorzi), ICORI, Pantanella Sud, Biglietto Elettronico, Immobiliare Aurelia ’90, FinNymco S.p.A., IFI S.pA., Istituto Federale di Credito Agrario per l’Italia Centrale, Banca Nazionale delle Comunicazioni S.p.A., Cassa per il Credito alle Imprese Artigiane, Tecnoholding S.p.A., Enel (Dalmazia Trieste S.p.A.; Sei S.p.A.), Agip S.p.A., Esso Espanola S.L., Telepiù S.p.A. Stream S.p.A., Wind S.p.A., Infostrada S.p.A., IBI NV in Fincasa 44 S.p.A., Sanpellegrino S.p.A., Acqua Claudia S.r.l., Banco di Desio e della Brianza S.p.A., Endemol Italia S.p.A, Enel.net S.p.A., Alenia Spazio S.p.A., Interflora Italia, IRTI Lavori S.p.A., Tecnel S.r.l.
He served as the lawyer of the Savoia family during the legal proceedings to return to Italy
He was a member of the Committee, established by the Board of the Bar in Rome, to examine the legal/forensic issues related to tax and international matters concerning the exercise of the profession of lawyer in EU Member States;
Chartered Banking Expert with the Interbank Deposit Protection Fund since 1966
He has been a Chartered Auditor since 1977.
DIRECTOR OF COMPANIES
During his career Professor Emanuele has held numerous offices of Chairman, member of the Board of Directors and Advisor to both public and private leading institutions, companies and industries at an international level in the financial and insurance, chemical, steel and metals, transport and building sectors.
- Vice Chairman of the Cassa di Risparmio di Roma, 1982-95;
- Chairman of Leasing Roma, 1985-2000;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Mediocredito del Lazio until 1991;
- Member of the Board of the Cassa di Risparmio di Roma Holding S.p.A. 1991 – 1997;
- Chairman of Assoleasing S.p.A. 1991 – 1993 (on the 14th November 1991 the company was taken over by Federleasing S.p.A.):
- Chairman of Microleasing S.p.A. 1991 – 1993;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Assilea 1991 -1993.
- Vice Chairman of the Association Europe & Enterprise (and former Member of the Board of Directors), 1997;
- Chairman of Federazione delle Casse di Risparmio dell’Italia Centrale, 1993.
- Chairman of S.i.g.r.e.c., 1993-2000;
- Vice Chairman of Ferfina S.p.A. 2001-2004:
- Member of the Board of Directors of Banque Profil de Gestion, 2014-17;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Centro Europa Ricerche since 2018.
- Member of the Board of Directors (1983-97), Vice Chairman (1993-96) and subsequently Chairman (1994 and 1996) of ISVAP (the Italian Insurance Supervisory Authority).
- Member of the Board of Auditors of Res Medics S.p.A., 1980;
- Chairman of Società Commerciale Padana SpA (Montedison), 1980-81;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Vinavil (Montedison), 1982-87;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Vitrofil (Montedison), 1982-87;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Vallesusa (Montefibre), 1983-1988;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Ote Biomedica SpA (Carlo Erba), 1989.
Large scale retail sector
- Member of the Board of Auditors of Standa Vendite (Montedison) 1979-1982.
Steel and Metals industry
- Member of the Board of Directors of Breda Termomeccanica (IRI – Finmeccanica) 1978-80;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Fag S.p.A. (Finmeccanica) 1979-1985;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Ansaldo Trasporti (IRI – Finmeccanica) 1981-86;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Italtractor S.p.A. (Finmeccanica) 1986-1989;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Augusta S.p.A. (Finmeccanica) 2005-2012.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Tirrenia SpA (Gruppo Finmare), 1970-79;
- Member of the Board of Directors (1973-80) and subsequently Vice Chairman of Cogeco SpA (Bastogi Group), 1976-1980;
- Vice Chairman of Costruzioni Cemento S.p.A. (Bastogi Group) from 1976 to 1980;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Edina (EFIM Group);
- Chairman of Condotte Immobiliare, 2002-06;
- IGI, coordinator of the task force instituted to solve the financial and procedural issues related to the building of the Messina Bridge;
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Stretto di Messina S.p.A. (from 2002) and subsequently Vice Chairman, 2003 – 2005;
- As a devout Roman Catholic, he has contributed to the restoration of assets belonging to the Church, including 42 restoration interventions in 29 churches in Rome and Province, 25 restoration interventions in 20 churches in Italy and the restoration of 4 churches abroad.
- Consorzio Agrital Ricerche, in which he was involved as the promoter of the agreement for scientific and technological development in the agricultural sector, 1998 – 2003.
- Hospice: he designed and supported the accomplishment of a Hospice for terminal patients in 1999;
- Honorary President of IRCCS-Fondazione ‘G. B. Bietti’ for Ophthalmic Research, since 2016;
- Gemelli Lab Centre of the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, member of the Scientific Committee, 2011 to circa 2013/14;
- Villaggio Emanuele: he located De Hogeweyk in Weesp, The Netherlands and promoted the building of a pioneer facility in Italy, the residential village for Alzheimer’s patients in Rome, which was named after him in 2017 in recognition of his creative contribution;
- The ‘Emanuele Cancer Research Foundation Malta’: Vice Chairman of this Foundation which opened in 2017 in the Biomedical Sciences Building at the University of Malta, and is named after the Professor;
- President of the Scientific Committee of MEBIC Medical and Experimental Bioimaging Centre, created through a collaboration between the Tor Vergata University and San Raffaele in Rome, since 2018.
Pursuing his commitment to the Holy Roman Church, during his term of office as Chairman of the Fondazione Roma, he has promoted the support of sixty-nine State hospitals, local health departments and care and rehabilitation non profit institutions, for the purpose of purchasing cutting edge medical diagnostic devices and technologies.
Humanitarian and Philanthropic sector
- Honorary President (Chairman from 1995 to 2018) of Fondazione Roma (fondazioneroma.it) since 12th October 2018;
During his term of office as Chairman of Fondazione Roma he promoted and successfully launched and numerous projects in the Foundation’s fields of activity. The main projects were:
In support of persecuted peoples:
- concert held by the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma on the occasion of the Holocaust Memorial Day (26th of January 2004);
- educational trips to Auschwitz for Roman students;
- the theatre piece ‘Pietre Urlanti (Screaming Stones)’ and a classical music concert performed by the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma held on the anniversary of the genocide of the Armenian people (24th of April 2008);
- a film review, titled ‘Dal Silenzio alla Speranza (From Silence to Hope)’, which presented a series of documentary films on Cambodia (May 2008).
For the Istrian-Dalmatian exodus:
- the exhibition dedicated to the Dalmatian painters held (from the 26th of January to the 10th of February 2007 and the 9th of May to the 8th of June 2008 respectively) in the in the halls of the Air-Raid shelter under Palazzo degli Ufffici in the EUR district in Rome;
- the exhibition ‘le Foibe. Dalla tragedia all’esodo’ held in the FlagMemorial in the Vittoriano (30th of January – 21st of February 2009);
- Remake of the DVD titled ‘L’esodo ignorato’ produced in 2004 by the Associazione Nazionale Dalmata and subsequently rereleased and circulated in schools thanks to Professor Emanuele;
- The performance on Native Americans ‘Ascolta il canto del vento (Listen to the song of the wind) held on the 20th of April 2009;
- The book for youths ‘Anni spezzati (The broken years), which reconstructs the Holocaust.
Recovery of the Foundation’s real estate assets and the archives.
As soon as he took office, one of the Chairman’s main objectives was to recover the Cassa di Risparmio di Roma’s historical real estate as a tangible sign of the continuity between this savings bank and Fondazione Roma and earlier between the Mount of Piety of Rome, created in 1539, and the Cassa di Risparmio which took it over. This goal was met when full ownership of Palazzo Sciarra was regained in 2008 and Palazzo Cipolla was purchased in 2010. He transformed the the area dedicated to lending activities in Palazzo Cipolla into the Museo del Corso. Both buildings needed to be fully refurbished in order to comply with the legal safety standards, with the consequent restoration of the frescoes, furnishings and the ruins of the Aqua Vergine aqueduct. A small chapel was built in Palazzo Sciarra, the Archival Fonds concerning the Sacred Mount of Piety of Rome and the Cassa di Risparmio di Roma were recovered from the bank. The artistic heritage of both institutions excluding the immovable works (sculptures, frescoes) that were kept in the Mount of Piety in Rome were reacquired and systematically organised and positioned. The works of art from the Mount of Piety and the Cassa di Rasparmio di Roma are now composed of 336 works ranging from 1400 to the contemporary works and 2600 circa papal medals and coins dated from the fifteenth century and an ultra-modern multimedia digital system, that provides basic information on the artworks to viewers has been installed.
Chairman of Fondazione Terzo Pilastro – Internazionale (formerly Fondazione Terzo Pilastro- Italia e Mediterraneo ) www.fondazioneterzopilastrointernazionale.it since the 21st of February 2018.
Through Fondazione Roma – Mediterraneo that became Fondazione Terzo Pilastro – Italia e Mediterraneo (2014), now known as Fondazione Terzo Pilastro – Internazionale, which is the natural evolution of the latter, the Chairman has promoted and supported projects throughout the Mediterranean Basin, including:
- the contribution to the restoration of the Basilica of Saint Augustine of Hippo, in Annaba, Algeria;
- the participation in the prestigious International Festival of Symphonic Music in El Jem, Tunisia;
- the creation of a course in high schools in Aqaba and Eliat in which Arab and Israeli pupils studied together;
- the support to the impressive project to irrigate semi-desert areas of Nabeul, Tunisia,
- the contribution to the construction of a football field in Jaramana, Damascus, Syria, which may be used also by Iraqi refugees;
- the contribution to the refurbishment of Institute of Cultural Monuments (IMK) in Tirana, Albania;
- the creation of a Cancer Research Foundation in Malta;
- the support to the Open Hospitals project, in Damascus, Syria
- the constant presence in Spain and looking ahead in Greece too.
The Ritratti di Poesia (Portraits of Poetry) show is another highly important expression of the Chairman’s commitment to the field of culture. Created in 2007 upon the direct initiative of the Chairman, a well known author of numerous poetry books, Ritratti di Poesia is an annual show which, mirroring poetry, is in constant evolution and pays attention to contemporaneity (such as the poetry competition 140-chacter tweets) and is capable of involving and awarding (even in cash) important national and international authors, white hopes, actors and musicians in an original mixture of meetings, debates, readings, ideas, verses and voices.
ART AND CULTURE
- Chairman of the Cultural Association Millennium, 1994;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Fondazione Romaeuropa – Arte e Cultura, 1999-2018;
- Member of the Board of the Associazione Amici dell’Accademia dei Lincei, 2001-03;
- President of the Italian section of the Consiglio Mediterraneo della Cultura, a NGO established under the aegis of UNESCO, 2002-05;
- Honorary President of the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma, 2003-12;
- President of Fondazione Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana 2004-08;
- President of the Azienda Speciale Palaexpo – which managed the Scuderie del Quirinale and the Palazzo delle Esposizioni museums and the Casa del Jazz 2009-12 (having been Vice President, 2007-08);
- Member of the Board of Directors of Fondazione Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, 2009-10;
- Member of the Organising Committee of ‘Memoria del Futuro’ at the Prime Minister’s Office, 2009;
- Member of the Honorary Committee and the Chairman’s Committee in the Institutional Representatives section of the International ‘Giuseppe Sciacca’ award, 2010-12;
- President of the Italian Pavilion Intellectuals’ Committee for the fifty-fourth art exhibition in the Venice Biennale, 2011;
- President of the Art Section’s Scientific Committee for the exhibition of visual arts in the fifty-fourth Festival dei Due Mondi in Spoleto, 2011;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Fondazione Biennale di Venezia, 2011-12;
- Member of the Honorary Committee of the (non-profit) Fondazione Gabriele e Lidia Cusani (2012);
- Advisor to the Minister for Cultural Heritage and Activities for the preservation, enhancement and promotion of ancient and contemporary sacred art in relation to State and ecclesiastic institution’s architectural and historic-artistic heritage, 2012-13;
- Member of the Founding and Organising Committee of the International Made in Italy Forum held in the Principality of Monaco, 2014- 2015;
- Vice Chairman of Associazione Civita, of which he was a member of the Chairman’s Committee and Head of International Affairs and of the Research Division, 2016 – 2018.
- Vice President of Fondazione Giuseppe Whitaker in Palermo, since 2017;
- Member of the Honorary Committee of Fondazione Dià Cultura since 2017;
- President of the Honorary Committee of the ‘Pianeta Azzurro – I Protagonisti’ Prize since 2017;
- Honorary President of the ‘Casa d’Europa di Enna’ since 2018;
- Honorary President of the Centro Europeo di Studi Normanni – Ariano Irpino since 2018.
In the field of Literature (poetry):
- ‘Un lungo Cammino’ (2008), for which he was awarded the ‘Premio Margutta in 2009’;
- ‘Le Molte Terre’ (2009), for which he was awarded the ‘Mondello International Prize for Literature – President’s special Prize’ and the Premio Laurentum in 2010;
- ‘La Goccia e lo Stelo’ (2013);
- ‘Pietre e Vento’ (2016).
He was awarded an Honorary Diploma by the World Academy of Poetry (2011), the Special Prize at the Biennale of Poetry- Lettera d’Argento (2015), the ‘Pianeta Azzurro – I Protagonisti’ Prize (2016) and recently the Montale fuori di Casa 2019 – Mediterranean section Prize for Poetry.
His poems have been read at events dedicated to him in the museum spaces at Fondazione Orestiadi – Granaio del Baglio Di Stefano in Gibellina (2017) at the Tower of Frederick II in Enna (2017) and Villa Mondragone at Monte Porzio Catone, home to the Tor Vergata University of Rome (2018) and were also the subject of the short film ‘Mondi Concentrici (Concentric Worlds) which was screened during the XI annual Ritratti di Poesia (Portraits of Poetry) show in 2017.
- Member of the Rotary Club of Salerno, 1976-81;
- Honorary Member of the Rotary Club of Palermo since 2001,
- Honorary Member of the Rotary Club of Roma Parioli since 2008;
- Honorary Member of the Rotary Club of Roma Cassia since 2011;
- Honorary Member of the Rotary Club of Latina since 2015, which recognised him as a Paul Harris Fellow, the highest Rotarian honour, in 2016;
- Honorary member of the Lions Club Latina Host, which bestowed him the Lions international highest honour, the Melvin Jones Award, in 2015.
- Member of the research panel of the Pontifical Council for Promoting New Evangelization, 2011;
- Member of the Scientific Committee for international research called ‘Caritas in veritate’ of the Pontificia Università Lateranense, 2011;
- Member of the Maria Odigitria dei Siciliani association since 2013;
- Honorary President of the Italian National Delegation of the non-profit Regina Elena International Association since 2015;
- Member of the Nobile Compagnia della Pace confraternity in Palermo since 2015.
- ‘I Siciliani’ a cultural association of which he was a Member of the Board of Directors, 1991-94;
- The International Association of Contemporary Art Curators since 2003;
- The International Pataphysics Centre since 2004;
- Member of the Leadership Council of the R. F. Kennedy Foundation since 2005;
- Foyer des Artistes, of which he has been a member of the Honorary Committee since 2007
- Member of the Chairman’s Committee of the Italiadecide research association, 2011-2018;
- Associazione Amici di Santa Cecilia of which he has been an Honorary Member since 2014;
- Associazione Amici Italia Austria of which he has been the Honorary President since 2014;
- Fondazione Teatro dell’Opera di Roma of which he has been anAssociate supporter member since 2015;
- Fondazione Roma Sapienza, Honorary Member, 2019.
- Associazione Nazionale Carabinieri in Città di Castello, of which he had been an Honorary- Meritorious Member since 1985;
- Associazione Nazionale Carabinieri in Rome, of which he has been an Honorary Member since 2019, (Meritorious Member since 2016);
- Associazione Nazionale Polizia di Stato, of which he has been a Meritorious Member since 1986.
- Académico Correspondiente at the Accademia Belgo-Española de Historia since 2003;
- Académico de Mérito at the Melitense Academia Hispana since 2003;
- Member of the Accademia Teatina per le Scienze since 2007;
- Member of the Honorary Committee of the Jacques Maritain International Institute since 2008;
- Honorary member of the Accademia Raffaello di Urbino since 2011;
- Honorary member of the Casa di Dante since 2012;
- Honorary Academic at the Accademia Angelico Costantiniana of Literature, Art and Science since 2012;
- Honorary Member of the Italian-Russian Accademia Sapientia et Scientia, established by the “Sofia: idea russa, idea d’Europa” international association, since 2013;
- Member of the Honorary Committee of the Accademia di Belle Arti (Academy of Fine Arts) in Rome since 2016.
- City of Dujiangyan (Sichuan); granted by the Government of the People’s Republic of China in September 2009;
- The City of Latina granted on the 18th of January 2013;
- The City of Pescina (granted on the 30th of April 2016) where Ignazio Silone was born, who, together with Nicola Chiaramonte founded the journal Tempo Presente in 1956. Professor Emanuele immortalizes his memory since he is now the co-owner of the journal and President of the Board;
- The City of Enna granted on the 22nd of January 2018;
- The City of Sutri granted on the 5th of July 2018;
- The City of Palermo, unable to grant and honorary citizenship, bestowed him the Title of Ambassador to ‘Palermo CulturE nel mondo’, 2019;
- The City of Ariano Irpino granted on the 13th of April 2019;
- Special Mention as Ambassador to the City of Agrigento, 2019.
INSTITUTIONS NAMED AFTER THE PROFESSOR
- The Fencing School Emmanuele F. M. Emanuele of the S.S. Lazio Ariccia was named after the Professor in 2013 and recently the Ariccia Sports Arena has been named after him too and will be called ‘Palaemanuele’;
- Villaggio Emanuele: he located De Hogewk in Weesp, The Netherlands and promoted the building of a pioneer facility in Italy, the residential village for Alzheimer’s patients in Rome, which was named after him in 2017 in recognition of his creative contribution;
- The ‘Emanuele Cancer Research Foundation Malta’: Vice Chairman of this Foundation which opened in 2017 in the Biomedical Sciences Building at the University of Malta, and is named after the Professor;
- The Nutrition Hall Eugenio and Emmanuele F. M. Emanuele, Barons of Culcasi, The Nutrition Halla of CEMAD, Centro Malattie Apparato Digerente (Gastroenterology Centre) of the Gemelli University Hospital in Rome has been named after the Professor and his father Eugenio, 2018;
- The Special Talent Prize has been named after Emmanuele Emanuele since 2018;
- The library of the School of Economics and Health Care Management (ALTEMS) at the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore was named after Professor Emanuele in 2019;
- The lecture hall at the Biogen research institute in Ariano Irpino, was named after Professor Emanuele.
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Republic of Italy, 1992;
- Honorary Officer of National Order of Merit of the Republic of Malta, 2018.
Religious and Chivalry Orders
- Knight Grand Cross of the Equestrian Order of St Gregory the Great (Vatican Holy See), 1998;
- Bailiff Knight Grand Cross of Justice of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of St George (Spain), 2012;
- Encomienda de Número (Commander by Number) of the Order of Isabel the Catholic (Spain), 2002;
- Knight Grand Cross of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, 1998;
- Knight Grand Cross pro Merito Melitensi, 1991, and Knight Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, 2018;
- Knight of the Civil Order of Savoy (unique role) 1989; Knight Grand Cross of the Civil Order of Merit of Savoy, 1989; Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus, 2001;
- Grand Officer of the International Order of Saint Hubertus, 2004.
In the field of Politics and Economics:
- The ‘Foyer’ international prize for economics, 2005;
- The ‘Le ragioni della Nuova Politica’ award, 2006;
- The Association ‘Guido Dorso’ International award, 2012;
- The ‘Premio Amicizia’ awarded by Confimprese Italia, 2012 and 2019.
In the field of Culture:
- The ‘Allori del Palatino’ award, 2001;
- The ‘Premio Federichino’ awarded by the Region of Sicily, 2002;
- ‘Premio Simpatia’ awarded by the Municipality of Rome, 2007;
- The ‘Antonello da Messina’ award, 2008;
- The title of Ambassador ‘Musicorum Princeps’, 2009;
- The ‘Premio Arte e Cultura La Bagnaia (Bagnaia Arts and Culture Award), 2009;
- ‘Premio alla Cultura’ awarded by the ‘Pagine’ publishing house, 2009;
- The ‘Sogno di Piero’ award, 2010;
- The ‘Lucio Colletti’ press award – culture section, 2011;
- The Italy – America Chamber of Commerce award for ‘Business and Culture’, 2012;
- Centro Studi Lucio Colletti’s ‘Oriente – Scienza e libertà’ award for culture, 2012;
- The Puškin medal, a State decoration, conferred by the President of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, 2013;
- The ‘Ignazio Silone’ award for culture, 2013;
- The ‘Chimera di Icastica’ award, 2014;
- The Medal for Merit of the House of Angelo Comneno of Thessaly and Epirus, 2014;
- The Medal of ‘Jaume II El Just’ of the Real Monasterio de Santa Maria de la Valldigna, 2015;
- The ‘VII Via Giulia’ award, 2015;
- The Special ‘Franco Cuomo International Award’, 2015;
- The Premio per l’Europa ’Federico II’ conferred in the Frederician city of Enna, 2016;
- The ‘VII Premio Educals’, 2016;
- The plaque named after ‘Khaled al – Asaad’ awarded by Fondazione Marianna for his intense and indefatigable commitment to promote art and culture, in particular, the reconstruction of the treasures which were destroyed in Syria and Iraq, 2017;
- The ‘Mediterranean Myth’ and ‘Mauro Piredda’ awards bestowed during the Mediterranean Fair Play Award, 2017;
- The gold medal of the Fernando Pessoa di Oporto University, 2018;
- The Enrico Toti Award, International Relations section, 2018;
- The Amico Illustre award of the Sapienza University of Rome, 2019;
- The Susanna Agnelli International Prize awarded by Fondazione Il Faro, 2019;
- The Leone d’argento Lifetime Achievement Award, Narnia Festival, 2019;
- The Oltre la Breccia Prize, awarded by the President of the Associazione Nazionale Bersaglieri, 2019;
- Certificate of Merit bestowed by RANEPA, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, 2019;
- Premio Roma sviluppo del Paese, Special Award Section, 2019;
- Medal for Merit of the seven hundredth anniversary of the foundation of the Papal Sanctuary of the Holy House of Loreto, 2019.
In the field of Health and Scientific Research:
- Certificate of Merit bestowed by the Italian Red Cross, 1999;
- Gold Medal for scientific research conferred by IRCCS G. B. Bietti, 2007;
- Certificate of Merit granted by the faculty of Medicine and Surgery in the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Rome, 2010;
- The ‘John Paul II award’ of the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Rome, 2013;
- Honorary Membership of AVIS Comunale di Roma (Association of Voluntary Blood Donors), 2016
- The University Medal from the University of Rome ‘Tor Vergata’, 2017;
- The ‘Premio Cuore’ conferred by the non-profit association ‘Dona la vita con il Cuore’, 2017.
In the field of Philanthropy and Solidarity:
- The ‘Calabria’ gold medal, 2001;
- The ‘Colomba della Pace’ award, 2001;
- The ‘Premio Anthai per la Solidarietà’, 2002;
- The ‘International Life Award’, 2002;
- The ‘Campidoglio’ award, 2007;
- The ‘Fata Morgana’ award, 2010;
- XXX ‘Premio della Carità’ awarded by the International non-profit Association Regina Elena, 2011;
- The Medal of Honour awarded by the non–profit Association Regina Elena, 2012;
- The title of ‘Ambassador’ of the Club Royal Fiaba conferred by the non-profit Association Fiaba, 2012;
- The title of Spokesman and Goodwill Ambassador of the Food and Agriculture Organisation in Italy and abroad, together with the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma, 2013;
- The ‘Accademico Pedagogista’ award, 2013;
- The UNESCO Valldigna award, 2014;
- The ‘Capitani dell’anno Europa 2014’ award in the Social Captains section, 2014;
- The Worshipful Queen Marie Clotilde award bestowed by the International non-profit Association Regina Elena, 2015;
- The ‘Social Imprendo per i giovani’ award, 2016.
The Professor is the Honorary President of ConfimpreseItalia– Confederazione Sindacale Datoriale delle Micro, Piccole e Medie Imprese (an employers’ organisation representing micro, small and medium enterprises).
He excelled in fencing, obtaining brilliant results in Sabre and Foil at a national and regional level.
- Chairman of the Club Scherma Roma (Fencing Club of Rome), which won four Italian Club Championships (the Nedo Nadi Trophy) during his term of office between 1988 and 1995;
- Honorary General President of the Polisportiva Lazio (Lazio Sports Association) since 2007;
- Honorary President of the Club Scherma Ariccia (Fencing Club of Ariccia) since 2010; he decided that it should join the Polisportiva and supporting the club as it increasingly attained success at a national level. The Fencing School Emmanuele F. M. Emanuele of the S.S. Lazio Ariccia was named after the Professor in 2013 and recently the Ariccia Sports Arena has been named after him too and will be called ‘Palaemanuele’;
- Honorary President of the Accademia Musumeci Greco since 2018;
- The Premio Renzo Nostini ‘Atleti Olimpici e Azzurri d’Italia’, 2009;
- The Vito Resse Memorial Trophy, 2014;
- The Federazione Italiana Scherma (Italian Fencing Federation) awarded him the ‘Elsa d’Oro’ prize in 2014;
- In his capacity as Honorary General President of the SS Lazio, he was awarded the 3rd Nostini Memorial Trophy in 2014;
- He was awarded the ‘Fédération Internationale d’Escrime 100 years medal’, the highest accolade of international fencing, in 2014;
- In January 2018, the Polisportiva Lazio awarded him the Luigi Bigiarelli Prize;
- Collare d’Oro al Merito Sportivo” awarded to the Accademia Musumeci Greco in the person of the Honorary President Emanuele and the President Musumeci Greco, December 2019.
- Honorary Member of the Italian Fencing Federation since the 20th of November 2016;
- Honorary Member of the Fédération Internationale d’Escrime, appointed during its conference held in Dubai on the 25th November 2017.
The professor attained commendable results in the Yole race with crews of four and eight led by the famous helmsman of the Italian team, Rubolotta.
Clubs and Federations:
- Honorary Member of the rowing club ‘Circolo Canottieri Aniene’ since 2008;
- Honorary Member of the Italian Rowing Federation since 2016; honorary diploma, 31st March 2018;
- Honorary President of the rowing club ‘Circolo Canottieri’ of Palermo since 2017.
- Honorary Member of the Società Mitteleuropea della Caccia a Cavallo (Master of Foxhounds Association) since 2010;
- He is the top award-winning breeder of Spanish horses in Italy, as demonstrated by the award conferred by the Asociaciòn de Alta Escuela Española en Italia in 2013;
- Grand Prior of the Italian Chapter of the International Order of Saint Hubertus, a knightly order that gathers hunters worldwide who observe traditional hunting ethics and practices, 2004-17;
- Honorary Member of the skeet shooting club ‘Antico Tiro al Volo’ since 2005
- He competed in the Club Italia’s classic car races such as the ‘Targa Florio’, the Winter Marathon, the Rally of the Flowers and the Tour of Umbria and Lazio;
- Honorary President of the Gentlemen Drivers ASD since 2015.
He joined open water swimming and was a member of the water polo team ‘Libertas Palermo’.
- Vice Chairman of the ‘RDS Rugby Roma’ from 1998 – 99, the term in which the club won the Italian Rugby championship;
- Honorary Member of the ‘Lupi Rugby Club’.
- Honorary Member of the ‘Parco dei Medici’ Golf Club since circa 1990 circa;
- Honorary Member of ‘Le Querce’ Golf Club since 2000;
- Honorary guest of the ‘Parco di Roma’ Golf & Country Club since 2002;
- Holder of an honorary membership card of the Italian Golf Federation since 2003.
- Member of the Punta Ala ‘Yacht Club’ until 2009;
- Member of the Argentario nautical and yacht club since 2016;
- Honorary Member of the Cortina d’Ampezzo ‘Yacht Club’ since 2017.
He has been a member of the Accademia Olimpica Nazionale Italiana since 2007.
In his capacity as Chairman of Fondazione Terzo Pilastro – Internazionale (formerly Fondazione Terzo Pilastro – Italia e Mediterraneo) he has been the most important independent private patron of the Italian Paralympic Committee.
In April 2017 he received the ‘Fair Play 2016’ award from the Panathlon International Club of Palermo, of which he became an Honorary Member in May 2018.